"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
-- Lucy Van Pelt (Peanuts)

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's for dinner?: Cornbread, Braised Leeks, Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash

Wow. So Eat for America was a smashing success. The four of us had some delicious meals and some great laughs together, bonding even closer over the savory and sweet mouthfuls that just didn't end for 4 days.

It was hard to go back to Philadelphia and eat like a normal person. Not that Philadelphia isn't an AMAZING food city, don't get me wrong, it is, but eating in three cities with no restraint for a long weekend is really hard to compare.

More about that later, but tonight, I bring you some healthful yet hearty cold weather cooking. Mmm. Well start with the corn bread. During Eat For America, we got to enjoy the corn bread at Volt restaurant in Frederick Maryland. While the entire meal was delicious - I have always had a thing for corn bread. It's. so. good.

Volt's cornbread is the most delicious cornbread I have ever had. If I could replicate one thing we ate that night, it would be the cornbread. Call me crazy, but this stuff is good. There were choices of bread of course, I think four in all, but if you get the opportunity to dine at Volt (which I hope you do) go for the cornbread. You will not be disappointed. In three rounds of bread, I had convinced my whole table to come to the cornbread side, and it ran out in our basket.

Since our trip, I've been craving cornbread. So tonight, I decided to make some with my dinner.


Pairing nicely with my corn bread, I power played some vegetables. A creamy butternut squash roasted with garlic cloves (mmm - you can throw the left over in the blender tomorrow for a delicious soup) and some olive oil braised leeks inspired by the olive oil braising feature in the most current issue of fine cooking.

No real recipes tonight - just ideas, sorry was busy cooking! But if you have questions, you always know where to find me :-) Now go make some cozy cold weather food, it's chilly out there!



No comments:

Post a Comment