"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
-- Lucy Van Pelt (Peanuts)

Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Bleeding Cupcakes




Happy Halloween!!

These gory cupcakes caught my attention in October's Martha Stewart Living, and I just had to make them myself! So I cued up the Top Chef Just Desserts finale and got baking to work.

Sugar work is always impressive to me, but in this recipe the sugar work is so easy and creates a creepy illusion that definitely gets some oooohs and aaaahhhs.

They appear to be bleeding from "glass" shards sticking out of the top, it doesn't get much more chilling than that. I made some for the management group in my apartment building and they were a hit, obviously.

I've been absolutely petrified of bugs as long as I can remember, so creepy crawly cakes and cookies really don't jive well with me. Blood, however, not so much a problem, and these cupcakes drove home the chill factor without making me lose my appetite.




You can use any cupcake recipe, and top them with a cream cheese or butter cream frosting. Martha recommends using strained cherry preserves for the "blood," but I didn't have any and red food coloring (just a couple drops) did the trick just fine. Get it. Trick.

The glass is just caramelized sugar that hasn't been allowed to achieve it's golden caramel color. Poured into a thin sheet, it looks like glass shards when shattered. Too... cute?



Has anyone else created some creepy Halloween desserts, tricks, or treats? Stay safe, and remember kids, don't use real glass! Muahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment