"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
-- Lucy Van Pelt (Peanuts)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Flora and Fauna


So, as much as I like to eat, I sometimes divert my attention to other matters.. such as flowers! Flowers are the first thing I think about when I think "spring," and deserve a place on the table along with any delicious meal.

The Philadelphia Flower Show just closed up recently, and a friend of mine invited me along with some of her friends on the last day. It was truly amazing to see what people can do with plants and flowers. The entire convention center was transformed into "Spring in Paris," and when I say transformed, I mean..



Base of the Eiffel Tower complementing floral tones..



Do you recognize the sculpture? Think about it. Really THINK about it...



Floral light displays inspired by costumes from an American in Paris..




Shadows cast by random objects and projected light (Seriously, the most clever thing I've ever seen. The can can dancer is created by shinning light on cut up CANS!!! I can't even begin to get over it.)

We spent hours wandering around brilliant and elaborate floral displays.. and of course topped it all off with some Gyros at the Redding Terminal Market... Obviously.. right across the way. What a splendid Sunday afternoon.

Just look at these orchids, they look like they have been dusted in cocoa powder. Delish! I absolutely love these (but of course they are a hybrid, and apparently very hard to care for.. so they won't be appearing in my home any time soon, as I would probably kill them - raising plants is not my strength..)



All this flower gazing got me inspired.... so I created a bouquet for my bedside with some simple foliage found at my local Whole Foods.



This bouquet is made from seeded eucalyptus paired with tiny and delicate limonium bunches, both of which you can see up close here. I thought that the shapes and color contrast were very interesting, as well as appealing to the eye. It also gives the impression of a very shy early spring, as we await warmer weather, but know that it is on the way.







I found the arrangement to be aesthetically pleasing at any angle, and the key was calculated asymmetry. I cut the stems of the blooms at various heights ranging within 3 inches, leaving the tallest blooms inside, and the shorter stems on the perimeter; however, I played with the shapes, and did not blend the limonium in with the eucalyptus entirely. This left a disproportionate amount of each bloom on either side of the bouquet, allowing for a different viewing experience depending on the angle. No matter how you blend these sweet blossoms together, I am sure the result will be beautiful! Happy spring, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment