"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
-- Lucy Van Pelt (Peanuts)

Friday, March 4, 2011

Fabulous Farmers' Market Find




Ok chocolate lovers.. especially Philly chocolate lovers... who doesn't love a good farmer's market? Who doesn't love a good chocolate table at the farmers market?

That's right. While wandering through Rittenhouse Square last weekend, I stumbled upon a farmers market, and there was John & Kira's crafted by hand chocolates. What? You've never heard of John or Kira? Hmm.. I hadn't either.. until last Saturday.. and now I can't stop eating their chocolates. (Yes, obviously I bought a box).

So, from what I learned talking at the Farmer's Table, John & Kira's chocoalates are made in North Philadelphia (yes, right here!) by a small team of chocolate experts. They HAND CRAFT each piece, and I may sound crazy, but you can taste the care and love that is put into each piece. The "Bee" chocolates I purchased from the spring "Bee and Lady bug collection" are filled with a runny and with sea salted local honey caramel (for reals). But the folks at John & Kira don't stop there. No. They HAND paint (I can't get over this) each chocolate with colored cocoa butter to look like little bees, (but not in a scary way if the insects terrify you - take it from me, they cause me to run away screaming frequently). STILL, our chocolate enthusiasts are still not done - they buff each piece so that it shines! SHINES! BY HAND! See:



And, they put little bee and lady bug facts underneath the cups in the bee & lady bug collection boxes. HOW CUTE IS THAT? Great locally made chocolate! In cute packaging! Made with love and care! John & KIra - where have you been all my life?



I am so impressed with the company's commitment to quality chocolate and detail. These are things you just don't find anymore. And they are LOCAL! Which is just super cool - because I not only am getting chocolate, but when I do, I feel good about supporting local business initiatives. And you should too! Go America! Go chocolate!

I most certainly will be a repeat customer after my farmers market experience, and am really excited after perusing their website (http://www.johnandkiras.com/) to try all their other flavors and chocolate creations (which I can't vouch for yet, but am sure will be delicious!). I am so excited about this find that I had to share it with others! Thanks for reading! Has anyone else found some great food finds either in Philly or somewhere else recently? Let me know, I'd love to try the things that you're really excited about too!

1 comment: