"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
-- Lucy Van Pelt (Peanuts)

Sunday, December 18, 2011

'Tis Better to Give...

You've probably heard that one before, but it's something that's been instilled in me over the years. As much as I love receiving presents (really I do), I love the art of gift giving.

I love wrapping, thinking of new ways to wrap, and of course, handing over the carefully wrapped present. There's a selfish part in all of it, the ultimate wow factor the package brings, but I just love giving gifts. I'm a retail dream. What are you getting your parents, your siblings, your favorite maitre d? (Yup, that last one was feature in a Saks gift giving guide catalogue. You betcha.)

But there is something extra magical about food gifts. Taking the time to make something delicious catered to the person it is for. One year, I made my father miniature black and white cookies, since he's moved out of New York City and misses his favorite Italian Bakery treat. My former roommates and I seem to have begun a tradition of making large batches of jam in different flavors, canning it, and giving it to everyone we know.


Having just moved into a new apartment, I was faced with my first year with not only a concierge desk, but an entire building management team. What to do.... but bake! This tray is composed of home made biscotti, mexican wedding cookies, a tower of star shaped sugar cookies of different sizes, stacked to resemble a christmas tree, nutty maple sour cream bread, and of course home made jam for spreading.

What are you giving this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment