"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
-- Lucy Van Pelt (Peanuts)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Heart Healthy Spaghetti Squash with Chicken and Radishes

So, I recently found out that I have high blood pressure.. Whooooaaaattttt?!

I did NOT see that coming. Sure, I like to eat, but I always thought my general diet was healthy with a bit of indulgence every so often.. and I try to stay active.. and the logical conclusion at this point seems to be perhaps.. MY JOB! Fabulous. The good news is, I have decided to step out of my position at the conclusion of this school year once my students graduate in order to pursue other opportunities, I'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, I'm trying to incorporate more fresh produce and herbs into my diet and cut out as much salt as possible. I know, terrible, but it can't hurt to eat a little more heart healthy, even at 25. If it gets my blood pressure down and I don't need to start taking high blood medication, I'm all for it. Besides, dark chocolate is still in the picture ;-)

Any suggestions that you may have for watching salt intake or lowering blood pressure in general are totally welcome! You'll probably see some more heart healthy stuff from me. At least... some of the time...

For my first attempt I picked up some spaghetti squash to hinder a craving for some deliciously salty pasta. Scouting out some seasonal produce I settled on some radishes, fresh basil, and brussel sprouts. Then off to grab a lean protein - chicken! Now we have the makings of a fresh tasting, heart healthy, low sodium meal. Mmmmm.

I never roasted, seared, or baked a radish. I have always had them raw and liked them fine. But a light pan sear really gives the radish a ton of mouth watering depth. I sliced the radishes thin, as if they were being served alongside raw fish or on a salad, and then tossed them until translucent on medium heat with a dash of olive oil to coat and a whole crushed clove of garlic.

Spaghetti Squash with Chicken and Radishes



1 medium sized spaghetti squash
3 radishes sliced thin
1 crushed clove of garlic
3-5 chicken tenders sliced diagonally
3-4 tbsp olive oil
5-6 brussel sprouts rinsed and sliced in half
2 tbsp sliced fresh basil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Split the spaghetti squash lengthwise using a sturdy chefs knife. Scoop out the pulp and seeds and rub the inside with olive oil. Roast in baking pan until spaghetti strands pull away from the shell easily with fork (about 1 hour usually).

While squash is roasting, turn chicken in pan with about 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat for about two minutes. After two minutes add the radishes, using more oil to coat if necessary, the garlic, and the brussel sprouts cut side down. Cook until chicken is cooked through, radishes are translucent, and brussel sprouts are browned.

When squash is done remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove spaghetti strands and toss with chicken and radish mixture. Sprinkle with fresh basil slices and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment